Terrific Birthday Photoshoot Ideas for 21st, 40th and 50th
19 brilliant birthday photoshoot ideas that take the cake!
Hello fellow photo enthusiasts, welcome to today’s’ blog all about birthday photoshoot ideas! Celebrating a milestone birthday like a 21st, 30th or 40th is a BIG deal, and we are here to help you really celebrate in style by giving you some birthday photoshoot ideas that allow you to have your cake … and eat it!
As a lifestyle photographer, I have seen sooooo many different birthday photoshoot ideas and have a collection of birthday images to die for. So today I am going to share some of my favourites with you. Starting with the ones in the album below from these amazing 50th birthday images from Joanna’s birthday event photoshoot at the beautiful Emperors Palace in Johannesburg.
This is the epitome of 50th birthday images from an event and what they should look like and we are going to go over some of the amazing tips that really made this an event to remember.
1. How to make your birthday event extra awesome!
2. What to wear for your birthday photoshoot.
3. Props and tips to get the most from your birthday photoshoot.
4. 21st birthday photoshoot ideas extras!
5. Trending adult photoshoot ideas for something really different.
Birthday photoshoot ideas - celebrate your Milestone birthday with a rocking event
Milestone birthdays are something celebrated the world over, and you only get to celebrate once in your life, so it’s really something you want to go all out for. Let’s unwrap what made this 50th birthday such an amazing event, and the good news is this can be applied to any milestone birthday, such as your 21st, 30th, 40th or 50th birthday photoshoot ideas.
How to create these amazing 50th, 40th or 30th or 21st Birthday photoshoot Ideas with an event.
- Have a killer birthday cake – It’s not a party until there’s a birthday cake! And this is where you can get really creative and show your unique side – hire a professional to bring your vision to life and let your personality shine!
- Choose an amazing venue – Function venues are normally geared to deal with big events like this and can take a lot of the stress out of planning. They might also have packages including décor immediately available that suits your style and personality that will really make your birthday images and vision come to life. It’s their job to make sure you get what you want so this can be a real lifesaver. Here are some of the venues I would recommend in Johannesburg.
Emperors Palace ≫ – for all-out birthday events that really splash out.
Tres Jolie ≫ – wedding and function venue – can cater for small or large events day or night with a few different venue options.
Summer Place venue Boksburg ≫ – Another great venue with various function halls and years of expertise.
- Hire a really great DJ that will play the type of music you want and knows how to create an atmosphere. In Joanna’s case, they hired DJ Dino Bravo ≫ who is an amazing 947 ≫ DJ so this party was off the hook!
- Pamper yourself – it’s your day after all, so take the time to get dressed up to the nines, have your hair and makeup done and of course have a birthday photoshoot either on your own or with the family, and with the friends who attended your birthday. These birthday images are what you will look back on fondly many years down the line.
Birthday photoshoot ideas to make your birthday images extra special
If you aren’t having a full-on event for your birthday this doesn’t mean you can’t still have amazing birthday images to celebrate your big day. Here are some of the tips and birthday photoshoot ideas we recommend to make this birthday of yours extra special
What to wear for your birthday photoshoot ideas.
The simple answer here is get dressed up! You can really go all out and make this all about you and make yourself feel special here!
Hire a makeup artist
– they will make you look and feel amazing for your birthday images, and this will build your confidence for the birthday photoshoot. It also helps with things like shine on your face etc, as a professional make up artist will know how to deal with these things.
Dress to the nines!
You can really make yourself look fabulous in the outfit you want – at Renphotos we allow you to even change outfits during your photoshoot, as long as it’s within the allocated time – so maybe think of 2 or three outfits you really want to show off with and bring them all along for your photoshoot. And some more great news – We have a great friend named Sam at Threads Of Rosemary ≫ who can help you stylize your shoot so be sure to get in touch with her!
Accessories go a long way.
Things like earrings, necklaces and handbags for the ladies are a great way to dress up any outfit, and of course, never forget the shoes! For the guys bring along jackets and sunglasses, a fancy watch or other jewellery you love, they can all really add to your look.
Props for your birthday images.
So what makes your birthday images really scream it’s my birthday? Why it’s the props of course! Here you can really go to town and personalize your shoot with the look and feel you want. Here are some great props to add to your images :
- Balloons, Balloons and more balloons! – these are a great addition to all birthday photoshoot ideas and are very popular with milestones like 21st birthday photoshoot ideas. They come in all different shapes and sizes. Whether you want to use one special number balloon, or a few different colours, or a sea of balloons all around you they can all make for great images. A great place to get them near me is My china ≫ – just be sure to add helium for the balloons you want to float!
- Birthday banners, sashes and streamers – If you are in studio this is a great way to literally spell out it’s your birthday – Just make sure the colour is bold enough to stand out against the white background, or if you have a sash then find one that will show the writing on it quite prominently.
- Confetti – These make for great birthday images and can be thrown in the air, blown at the camera, or have your friends and family throw them at you – they all work well, just be sure to let the photographer count you down as it can be a tricky shot to get J
- Photo birthday cake –I will say it again – it’s not a birthday until there’s cake so be sure to bring one along – and if you really want to get creative see the next big heading below!
- Champagne – what shouts celebration more than a bit of bubbly? You can use this as a prop in the photos or even shake it up and spray for a great spontaneous shot!
21st birthday photoshoot ideas
A 21st birthday is traditionally considered a coming of age birthday and as such is particularly important – especially when you are at this age as you are starting to enter adulthood, but still want to party and celebrate with your friends. Here are some additional props, tips and 21st birthday photoshoot ideas to try out for this milestone birthday
- Get your friends involved in your photoshoot celebration – this time in your life is all about celebrating and partying with them, and one day you can look back on it and see how young you all were at this coming of age party.
- Add a 21st key to your props – Another tradition is receiving a key on your 21st birthday from your parents so this is a great prop to use in your photos or use it on your cake or in your décor ideas.
- Do something you haven’t been allowed to do yet such as going to a casino, or a no under 21 club, driving a car (in certain parts of the world) or having a drink(also in certain parts of the world) Or better yet, theme your 21st birthday images around one of these things that you haven’t been allowed to do.
Trending Birthday photoshoot ideas for Adults that REALLY celebrate your birthday
There are trends that are going around with 21st,30th birthday photoshoot ideas, Or just to celebrate any birthday really because why not? Currently, some of the favourites are pyjama parties, adult cake smashes and colour photoshoots – Not sure what these are? Below we unwrap each of them and show you just how creative they can be.
- Pyjama party birthday photoshoot ideas – where you get dressed up in your PJs with your friends, and You can make this even more creative like having a pillow fight, or breakfast in bed vibes.
- Adult cake smash – If you are really into this it can be “SO” much fun and you can get the whole family involved. Just like we do with a one-year-old for their birthday except this time its all up to the adults to get themselves covered in cake and overindulge!
- Colour birthday Photoshoot ideas – These are always a lot of fun and also a great way to celebrate with friends or family or a partner and get those natural smiles rolling in – just be sure to use biodegradable powder paints and use white clothes you won’t be needing again.
- Boudoir photoshoot – For the women or couples out there who really want to celebrate their bodies and make themselves feel good, a boudoir birthday photoshoot can do just the trick. Bring out the sexy lingerie and the sexy attitude. Don’t worry at Renphotos nothing is published without your consent, so if you want these photos to remain private between you and your partner that’s all up to you.
So you can see there are plenty of ways to make these birthday photoshoot ideas come alive. Here at Renphotos we LOVE birthday photoshoots and really strive to make your birthday photoshoot special. We will work with whatever birthday images you might have in your head – to bring them to life and celebrate with you.
Our birthday photoshoot prices start with the base price for hourly photography which stays the same and you can then add in whatever you want for your birthday images. So be sure to discuss whatever your vision may be and we can take it from there to a whole new level that makes your birthday images unique and something you can remember forever!
Also, be sure to check out some of our previous birthday photoshoots and events on the blog, and for the littlies, you can also see what we do to celebrate their milestone birthday with birthday photoshoot ideas like cake smash and splash options.
There is also a link below to our lifestyle photography packages which include birthday photoshoot prices such as the cake smash and splash combo– see the links below!
- Claudia’s casino themed 30th birthday event photography ≫
- Lornias 27th birthday photoshoot in studio≫
- Cake smash photography≫
- Birthday photoshoot prices≫
Let us know if you ever had a birthday photoshoot and what you did, we would love to hear from our readers!