10 Top Pregnancy Photoshoot Ideas that Make Your Heart Melt!
Heart Melting Pregnancy Photoshoot Ideas with Renphotos!
Being pregnant is a magical time in a woman’s life and definitely, one that deserves to be remembered. After all, it is not every day you get to feel your body changing and belly growing to accommodate a human being. A maternity photoshoot is a great way to record this beautiful time, and there are many creative and fun ways to show off your baby bump!
So to celebrate all mums to be out there I have decided to put some of my Top pregnancy photoshoots ideas, and tips to try out and make any maternity photoshoot both stunning and unique.
We will cover what you need to wear, what props you need to bring along with you and how to pose
properly to really show off that baby belly!
Want to be sure I know what I’m talking about? Check out the below gallery from this maternity photoshoot with Keagan and Caryn before reading on…
Must have Photo-worthy Pregnancy Stages to record your pregnancy journey?
There are several exciting stages during your pregnancy you are going to want to remember and many of them are photo-worthy opportunities. It is a time of high overwhelming emotion and happy moments.
What and when are the pregnancy stages to consider for creative pregnancy photoshoot ideas.
A maternity photoshoot is basically any shoot you have during your pregnancy to record your baby growing in your womb. This has grown in popularity over the years and there are many different times and pregnancy photoshoot ideas you can use along the way. There are various pregnancy stages and you can choose which of these you want to record, but all of them are photo-worthy so good luck deciding which!
- Surprising Dad with the news – Some mums to be, love to surprise dad to be with the news and this is a great moment to record on camera. There are lots of creative ways you can do this as well, but if you want a photographer involved you can disguise it as a couple or family photoshoot, and announce your big news during the shoot to get that genuine reaction.
- Announcing Baby Coming! – this normally happens after around 8 to 12 weeks, but you can do this earlier, its completely up to you. You won’t be showing as yet, but you can let the world know you are expecting. Adding your pets into the shoot, a witty sign or other siblings can all make for great pregnancy photoshoot ideas at this stage.
- Gender reveal – If you want to know your baby’s gender, this is normally possible around 16 weeks of pregnancy. A fun way to do this is to have your Gynae put the gender in an envelope and let a third party have it. They can then arrange a creative way to reveal the gender of your baby like balloons in a box or popping a balloon filled with powder paint or sparkles in blue or pink to reveal the gender. Of course, the reactions over this and the moment itself are definitely worth capturing on camera!
- Baby Shower – The baby shower is an opportunity to include all your friends and have some photos with them to remember the love and support around you during this time. A baby shower is generally done around 6 to 7 months of pregnancy and is generally covered like an event but is another opportunity to capture your baby bump amongst your pregnancy photoshoot ideas.
- Maternity photoshoot – Of all the pregnancy photoshoot ideas this is definitely the most common and normally happens around 7-8 months, but it does depend on how much you are showing and how comfortable you are. You want to show off that bump in all its glory and by this stage of pregnancy, you are normally glowing so it’s a great time to capture the end of your pregnancy stages.
The Growing Bump maternity package by Renphotos.
This is something I offer at Renphotos, allowing the mum to be to come in for mini pregnancy photoshoots either once a month or bi-monthly to capture your belly as it grows! You can keep this simple and classic, just capturing the bump as it grows in the same outfit, and ending with baby once he or she arrives, or you can try some pregnancy photos on the more creative pregnancy photoshoot ideas to make this more fun and quirkier – such as dad pretending to use a gas pump and “pumping” the belly every month.
How to prepare yourself and family for your maternity photoshoot.
A maternity photoshoot just like any other photoshoot requires a bit of preparation and consideration if you want to get the most out of it. There are a ton of pregnancy photoshoot ideas you can find on the internet, making it a bit difficult to know where to start, and achieving the look you really want when researching locally in South Africa can be a little more…er…. Tricky as the resources available are a bit more limited. So here are some tips to help you prepare from what to wear, to props to bring along with you and poses you can consider, to make you look good.
Maternity photoshoot Props to help you get the most from your pregnancy photoshoot ideas.
- Baby bootees and clothes – These are a great maternity photoshoot prop as little bootees or shoes for new-borns are so tiny, when you put them next to the belly it is just the cutest thing! And a baby onesie with a bit of character is also a fun way to make your photoshoot unique to you.
- Pregnancy scan – You may have several of these during your pregnancy, so you can bring them all along or just your favourite – there are plenty of creative ways to include this in your pregnancy photoshoot ideas.
- Baby books – Using a favourite from your childhood can create a connection between you and baby in the photo that is absolutely heart-warming.
- Chalkboards or signs – You can get creative with these too, writing baby’s name or due date. Or get more creative and use building blocks from the baby’s’ room.
- Balloons – Balloons are a great addition to any photoshoot and are great to add to the arsenal of pregnancy photoshoot ideas as they have a connection to carefree and fun childhood days.
Pregnancy photoshoot ideas – what to wear for your maternity photoshoot.
From flowy dresses to jeans and tops there are several options you can choose from for your pregnancy photoshoot ideas. But the most important thing to remember is to wear something you are comfortable in and that shows off your belly – after all this is what the photoshoot is all about.
Also try to stick to neutral colours and stay away from loud patterns as this can be distracting instead of actually adding to the photo. Be sure to accessorize as well with floral headbands and jewellery that compliments your outfit. And dress hubby and children in similar colours that do not clash with what you will be wearing. (Except for the lingerie- that would be awkward) If in doubt always ask your photographer, they will be sure to be able to help.
- Tight-fitting tops and jeans or tights that show off your figure -The main reason for the shoot is to show off your belly so wearing something tight-fitting over your belly will best show this off.
- Lingerie – For those of you comfortable enough to do so, a boudoir maternity photoshoot is a beautiful way to show off your belly. You can also show less skin by wearing one of dads’ shirts and just have your belly sticking out for instance.
- Maternity skirts for hire – Renphotos has several maternity skirts for hire, one of which is included in your maternity photoshoot, they are light flowy material and are great for adding some drama to your photos, as we throw them in the air and they float back around you! Check Out Maternity Skirts For Hire≫ They are versatile in that you can wear them over lingerie, or a vest and crop pants, or over another tight-fitting dress as long as the colours match.
- Maternity Dresses – You can bring along your own flowy dresses if they still fit you at this stage, or there are several places that specialise in maternity dress hire for photoshoots – these really create some beautiful dramatic photos. One of the best places I can recommend is belly beautiful≫.
Pregnancy photoshoot ideas – Maternity photoshoot poses.
Showing off your belly is pretty much a standard maternity pose, and once you have looked every which way you can in that pose it can be tough to think of new and creative ways to make your photos unique.
Here are some pregnancy photoshoot ideas and poses to help you start thinking outside the box.
- Classic maternity photoshoot poses – These are a must – standing diagonally to the camera with hands under the belly or one hand on the top of the belly and one hand underneath framing it, with one leg bent shows off the belly the most and is the classic maternity pose. You can vary this by looking down at the belly or away from the camera, placing hands in different positions or turning to face the camera for one or two shots.
- Sitting or lying down – If you are comfortable and able to do it then these create a variety of poses.
- With your partner – It is after all his baby too And these photos can create really intimate moments between the couple, just touching heads and looking down at the belly or kissing.
- With other siblings – there are several poses you can do here, from kissing or holding the belly to holding props like baby shoes they are all sure to melt your heart.
- With pets – This is another great way to get unique pregnancy photoshoot ideas to work for you – add your pets to the photoshoot! It’s best to keep this as simple as possible though as it can be difficult to get a pet to pose perfectly beside you. But horses dogs and cats are all good candidates for cute pregnancy photoshoot ideas.
So if you thought it was as simple as just having a few photos to record your maternity session I am sure you are thinking differently now!
At least I hope we have managed to give you a more in-depth look at “what to expect when you are expecting” and some great pregnancy photoshoot ideas to capture these special moments so they are not forgotten.
If you would like to see more of my work from previous maternity photoshoots or more information on the maternity packages I offer please see the below links.
- Maternity Portfolio≫
- Maternity and Baby Blog≫
- Maternity Photoshoot Pricing≫
- Follow Renphotos on Facebook≫
- Follow Renphotos on Pinterest≫
And as always if you would like to get in touch, contact me≫ and let’s have a chat!